Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Movie Review - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Hobbit:  The Desolation of Smaug


GTuck:

GurleeGirrl and I had been looking forward to the second installment of The Hobbit for quite some time. We enjoyed the first one, and assumed this would be more of the same.  Unfortunately these movies are really drawn out, and extremely long.  At a little over 2 hours and 40 minutes and nothing really happens.  Sure there is some Gandalf and Legolas, but that only helps out a little.  I'm just waiting for the story to be over now, so when they release the third movie I will be happy to be done with this journey.  I much prefer the Lord of the Rings to The Hobbit.  Although, the CGI dragon is awesome and worth seeing in the theater.  I give The Hobbit:  The Desolation of Smaug a 6 out of 10.

GurleeGirrl:

As GTuck mentioned, I was very excited to see the second installment of The Hobbit, and made sure we were there on opening night seeing it on the IMAX screen.  I had my popcorn and Kit Kat bites and was ready to be wowed.  Unfortunately that just didn't happen.  Don't get me wrong, Desolation of Smaug had some improvements over the last installment, including the addition of Evangeline Lily as Tauriel of the Woodland Elves.  She was fantastic.  For the ladies looking for a love story (or love Triangle), we got that too as her relationship with Kili (Aidan Turner) blossoms, we have to wonder what is going to happen with Legolas.

Highlight of the movie is we finally get to see Smaug, and we see quite a bit of him.  As always, there is a lot of fighting with the Orc, which I normally love, but it seemed to drag on.  The only reason I wasn't super annoyed by it is Legolas and Tauriel use their bow skills and acrobatics to entertain us, and it worked for me.

I officially give it a 6 out of 10, however, I still am excited for the third installment, and am sure that if you are truly a LOTR fan, you won't be disappointed with this one.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment