Friday, December 13, 2013

Movie Review - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

The Hunger Games:  Catching Fire




GTuck:

Catching Fire came out on November 22nd and GurleeGirrl and I saw it on opening night in IMAX.  We still love going to the movies on opening night, especially for the bigger movies.  I don’t know if I should be embarrassed or not, but I’ve read all the Hunger Games books and I enjoyed the first movie.  I liked this one as well, but it did feel a little rushed.  I like seeing the action of the games, and there was a decent amount, but I was hoping for more.  I was not bored at all during the movie and all the performances were great.  I especially liked the characters of Finnick and Joanna, they stole the screen whenever they were on.  I will give The Hunger Games:  Catching Fire an 8 out of 10.

GurleeGirrl:

I really enjoyed the movie too.  A movie should take me away for an hour or two and make me feel a connection to the characters.  This movie did that.  It made me laugh, cry and feel anxious, and that's even with having read the book!

When Katniss and Peta visit Rue's District, I was literally sobbing.  It was very touching.  My favorite scene by far.

Some new characters were introduced, and I just loved Finnick - he stole the spotlight for sure.  Joanna adds some much needed humor to the dark story, and Jena Malone rocked it.  I'm excited to watch the rest of their story unfold.  Prim looks so much older and much more mature, and the actress herself has evolved.  Cesar was a favorite of mine from the first movie and continues to be.  Stanley Tucci is by far the best part of the movie - I think I have a smile plastered on my face the entire time he's on screen.

One notable improvement is the acting this go round.  Each and every actor has really stepped their game up.

The CGI was an improvement too.  One bad scene is when Katniss is being lifted out of the arena.  This was just painful for me to watch - it just looked horrible.  Most everything else, was great, besides the "flaming" costumes, but they were an improvement over the last movie, so that's something.

Overall the movie left me excited for the next, which seemed to be the consensus in our theater, because when it ended no one wanted to leave!  I am pretty peeved to learn that Mockingjay will be broken into two movies.  Seriously?!?! I have to wait 2 years to see this story come to an end? Great....

My rating for this movie is a 7 out of 10.  I'd absolutely recommend you see this movie in the theater, and then I'll bet it will be one of those you'll watch again at home, I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment