Thursday, February 27, 2014

Movie Review - About Last Night


GTuck - 

In order to see The Lego Movie, I also had to go see About Last Night with GurleeGirrl.  It was a deal that was worth it, I loved The Lego Movie.  I didn't love About Last Night as much.  It was fine, it was a romantic comedy.  Kevin Hart isn't really funny, the acting by the leading man is terrible and that pretty much wraps it up.  Kevin Hart is vulgar in a way that's not funny, it's not even shocking.  It's not funny, that's all there is to it.  However lots of people seem to think he's very funny, he's in every movie. The two main characters seem to be getting into their first serious relationships at 40.  Now these people would have a lot more baggage at this point.  Maybe they were supposed to be in their mid 30's?  I don't know, the whole movie is dumb. I just hope I don't ever have to see another Kevin Hart movie, even as far as romantic comedies go it's not really romantic or much of a comedy.  I would skip this one.  I give About Last Night a 3 out of 10.

GurleeGirrl - 

I had some high expectations coming into this movie.  The original was definitely a favorite of mine when I was younger.  I'm sure I've watched it at least 20 times.  It isn't a life altering movie, but it pulled at my heartstrings for some dumb reason.  Maybe it was the fact that Rob Lowe was in it (naked).  Or maybe it was that I loved James Belushi, maybe it was because I could listen to the horrible soundtrack over and over and never get sick of it, especially the Bob Seger song - Living Inside My Heart.  So this movie had to REALLY deliver in hopes of me liking it.

I will go so far as to say I liked it.  I found it surprisingly humorous, although GTuck didn't.  I think Kevin Hart and Regina Hall did a great job as loving/bickering couple Bernie and Joan.  They had me laughing quite a bit.  As far as Michael Ealy and Joy Bryant, I wasn't in love with them as the main character Danny and Debbie.  I think Michael Ealy was pretty emotionless in his role.  In other words, he's no Rob Lowe.

If you've seen the first, there are some minor differences between the two, which somehow was okay with me.  I wasn't thrilled that Chicago was recast to Los Angeles.  I liked the Midwest feel of the first film better - maybe because that's where I'm from.

Should you see it?  I'd say yes.  It's not one I think you should run right out to the theater and see, but if you are looking for a hour and a half of funny based on language/sex/lewd behavior, this movie is for you.  I give About Last Night a 7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment