Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Movie Review - RoboCop


GTuck - 

We saw the new RoboCop movie over the weekend in IMAX and it's a pretty good movie.  I was never bored and the story goes along quite nicely.  I just wish there was more of him scanning crowds of people and finding bad guys, or out solving more crimes before it gets into the meat of the story.  All the acting is pretty good, and it's nice to have the Detroit setting even though they didn't actually shoot it here.  The Red Wings stuff and a Made in Detroit sticker were nice to see either way.  If you're a fan of the original RoboCop you will enjoy this one as well, the suit and CG in this movie are of course much improved.  There are some pretty great scenes of what was left of him without his suit on.  I will give RoboCop a 7 out of 10.

GurleeGirrl -

Of all the movies out this week, I was most looking forward to RoboCop.  I really enjoyed the original and was hopeful that the new would be just as good.  I was not disappointed.  The story was told well, the CG was pretty amazing and even the acting, for an action-type film, was top notch.  I am a Gary Oldman fan (since he was Dracula), and thought he did a standout job in this movie.  I can't really place if I've seen Joel Kinnaman in anything else, but I will say he pulled off "both" of his characters.  Although the interaction with his family is very small in the beginning, I felt the connection, which is weird.  There was a very touching scene between RoboCop and his son, and I thought it was well done.

I agree with GTuck that we could have seen a little more of him doing some "crime fighting", but they really concentrated on the development of RoboCop, from man to machine.

I really like seeing this type of movie in the theater, to get the most bang out of it.  So if it's on your radar, be sure to check it out soon.  I will give RoboCop an 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment