Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Movie Review - The Lego Movie


GTuck -

Everything is awesome.  Got that out of the way, the song is stuck in my head and I don't hate it.  As a child of the 80's I played with plenty of Legos and mostly followed the instructions while assembling them.  I wasn't very creative, and I'm still not today.  This movie really spoke to me in many ways and I loved all the twists and turns and cameos along the way.  I don't want to spoil the big reveals for those of you that haven't seen it yet, but there were a few surprises that definitely put a smile on my face.  

I knew I was going to love The Lego Movie.  I love animation and it's almost as if I had assembled the cast for this movie myself.  Chris Pratt, Will Arnett, Elizabeth Banks and Will Ferrell are the main characters.  The others in the cast I didn't know about, but I was happy to find them voicing characters.  Mainly Charlie Day, that's not a big spoiler, but I was happy that he showed up and I didn't know it was coming.  So, this cast is really made for me.  I would have Chris Pratt, Will Arnett and Charlie Day in pretty much every movie though and it would be awesome.  There are some really great one liners in this movie that you will want to hear again, a lot are in the trailer, but most of them aren't.  The trailer doesn't spoil everything, which is very nice.  I really loved the story and am very happy with the ending and how it all plays out.  

If you have kids or were a kid of the 80's, I highly recommend seeing this movie.  It really is done very well, has a great theme and is a great feel good movie.  The voice acting is top notch and very well cast.  I will be buying the Blu-ray the day it comes out.  I can't wait to see The Lego Movie again.  I will give The Lego Movie a 9 out of 10.

GurleeGirrl - 

I was not as excited to see this movie as GTuck was.  It's not that I hate Legos, or kid movies (I normally LOVE them), I just wasn't sure what to expect.  Let's start by saying the voice cast is incredible.  From Chris Pratt, Will Arnett, Will Ferrell and on each of them had the ability to make these characters really come to life.  There were so many one liners that whether you are an adult or child, you couldn't help but laugh out loud.  I found myself laughing a lot during this movie (mostly due to the awesome lines delivered by Will Arnett as Batman). 

Every great movie has a lesson to be learned, and this one doesn't fail you there.  As a parent, we sometimes forget that kids should be able to express their creativity and we should encourage them to be unique.  I'm very guilty of saying "this is how you do it" or "shouldn't you have done this?".  It's crazy that I basically learned a life lesson from The Lego Movie, and that I definitely need to chill out some.

This movie (like many other animated movies), is written with the adult viewer in mind, more so than children, although where the dialogue is lost on them, it makes up for it in action packed Lego building sequences.  

I'm not sure if seeing the movie in 3D added anything to my overall experience, so I would say you can save the extra money.  If you are looking for a fun, family-friendly activity - this is the movie to fill a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.  I think the length is good, and that kids over 3 will have no problem following along.

I give The Lego Movie a 8 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment